Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Re-Reading African History As World History


As a young boy, I had a voracious appetite for world-history and identifying my self with in it. At some point along the road I lost my curiosity for history and answering questions about my families past. But the older I get the more I feel my self returning back to my first love of world-history and African history in particular.

I wanted to share some of the things I am reading with the group which I believe will enrich us as we prepare for this summit and prepare to carry the struggle of Pan-Africanism into the next century and beyond. I want to learn more about West Africa's pre-colonial history and the world-system in which they traded and thrived. Below are a few links from the net I found interesting. Please, share any you may come by on the same subject.

The trans-Atlantic slave trade

4,000 years of Afro-Asia Trade and the myth of European Exceptionalism

Europe's pillage of Africa's resources throughout history

1 comment:

Abdurratln said...

Thank you for some very good references. I suggest that you also consider How Europe Underdeveloped Africa by Walter Rodney (http://www.marxists.org/subject/africa/rodney-walter/how-europe/index.htm)